Wimborne Athletic Club

Home                Club Info                Cross Country                Road Running                Sportshall                Track & Field

A WAC Games Maker’s Story

Dave Wild reports from Olympic 2012 duty in Weymouth.

It all started for me in July 2005, when I was lying in a hospital bed at Southampton General recovering from heart surgery when I heard the news that the 2012 Games had been awarded to London. Seeing a jubilant Seb Coe (one of my favourite athletes) and Kelly Holmes, (I had the pleasure of competing in the same Army Cross Country Championships as her in February 1996 – somehow she crossed the line in front of me) on TV after the announcement, reminded me of the inspiring story of the Olympic volunteers that started with the Sydney games.  I made up my mind, there and then, to become a volunteer at the 2012 games.

There are so many different and varied roles as a volunteer, not just the guys escorting the athletes to their starting blocks.  There are medical teams, doping teams, transport, sports officials, timekeepers, security, communications, catering.  The list goes on and on.  My ideal job would be an usher/escort to the athletes, but I realised I was not young enough and not pretty enough.

The application process was not as simple as I expected. I applied to become a volunteer (or a ‘Games Maker’ as they became known) sometime in early 2010 – an online form that went on forever.  They wanted to know everything about me – all my talents, language skills, sports played, medical skills, radio operating ability. In fact they wanted my life history. I eventually had an interview at Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy on 16 March 2011; a 90 minute intensive selection interview for a job in the Command Control and Communication Centre at Portland.  On my application, I had applied to work in the transport area (I wanted an easy two weeks driving people around).  However, LOCOG decided that my life skills would be better exploited elsewhere.

That’s me at Portland in my uniform (Olympic Rings rising out of the water).

Then a 12 month wait before I was informed that I was successful and was offered the job.  Apparently, the reason for the long time between interview and job was that almost 250,000 people applied to be volunteers and they only needed 70,000.

Training was mandatory (?). Orientation training, which I did not attend, Job Specific Training held in London and Venue Specific Training held in Portland. Most of the training was nugatory, but no training – no job, so it had to be done. The good thing about it was I had the opportunity to meet other members of the team. After this, I was fitted for my uniform and it was off to work.


So, what did I do for two weeks? I was in Portland from 26 July until 11 August most days. I travelled daily by car and was employed in the Command Control and Communication Centre at Portland, located in the Police control room. In that room was the Police, Ambulance, Fire & Rescue, Security (G4S, Military & Venue Security Managers) and the LOCOG team (that was us).  Around the walls, as well as the TV screens showing the BBC Olympic feeds, was an array of CCTV monitors. These were mainly used by the security people. Throughout the games, communication was primarily by radio. If teams and groups of people working around the venue wanted any assistance they would use their radio. There were hundreds in use, in Weymouth and Portland alone.

Our role was to monitor the radio communications and log the conversations.  Also, if there was an incident that could not be resolved on the spot, the matter would be reported to us.  We would decide what action should be taken, who should deal with it and pass the issue on to the relevant department.  We also monitored the progress of any racing/training and traffic on the water, informing the relevant departments when the waters were open to Olympic traffic, when athletes were leaving and returning to and from the marina/harbour, and when sailing was finished so the waters could be restored to normal use.

Not too exciting a job.  Incidents that I can report are as follows:

  • A body on the beach early in the morning – turned out to be an individual who had overdone the celebrations the previous day/night.

  • Minor injuries to volunteers – sun umbrella collapsing onto an individual.

  • Athlete/Sailor falling off his mountain bike.

  • Fence and tenting panels blown over.

  • Coast Guard rescue of 2 old guys who had fallen onto rocks near the Nothe.

  • Leaking toilets/water pipes.

  • Suspect package – bomb squad called out. The security manager was in a rage and said that someone would lose their job over this. I asked him why, if the security personnel had followed correct procedures. The security manager was furious not because the bomb squad were called but because the package had been there for over three days.  Turned out not to be a threat.

Other strange things that happened were related to ‘Branding’. There was a ban on branding/advertising of goods close to and in the venue – unless they were an Olympic sponsor or partner. There was a team of volunteers whose job was to go around the local area to ensure nobody had any ‘illegal’ advertising. Volvo cars had put some advertising around Weymouth so it would be seen during the TV coverage. 

    Ben Ainslie lighting the cauldron.

Sunseeker, who have an establishment in the Sailing Academy area had to cover up all their signage. A delivery truck to the venue was denied access because his vehicle advertised his own business. The only way he could get his goods onto site was either to cover up his brand name on the side of his vehicle or cross load the goods to a UPS vehicle.  UPS vehicles were allowed on site as they are an Olympic sponsor/partner.

Despite being locked in the Police control room during my stint, I did manage to see and do some other things.  I got a free ticket to see the Opening Ceremony rehearsal on the Monday prior to the actual ceremony. A most exciting time – albeit a little confusing at times. Some items were omitted during the rehearsal and it wasn’t always clear what was happening. For example, Rowan Atkinson made an appearance but did nothing during the rehearsal – we didn’t know why he was there.  Also we were trying to work out were and how the cauldron would be lit, but our joint imaginations were no match for that of Danny Boyle. I also attended the ceremonious lighting of the cauldron by Ben Ainslie at Portland.


Volunteers were also invited to the medal ceremonies. These were quite low key events, as there was no public attendance, only officials and families were allowed, hence the volunteers being invited - probably to make up the numbers.

All in all, being a Games Maker and working alongside other volunteers and the uniformed services for the 2012 Olympic Games was a truly enjoyable, once in a lifetime experience. Next step Rio or maybe I’ll just settle for the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.


                   Ben Ainslie and his GOLD.


Web Design by