We have put together this page of advice and guidance to help both athletes and parents for training sessions and competition. If you have any suggestions or feel that there is something that we have missed please let us know.
The following bulleted list gives you some basic advice and guidance to help make your training sessions both enjoyable and successful.
- Please ensure that you dress for the weather conditions. Most of our training sessions take place outside and it is important that you don’t get too hot, cold or wet.
- It is important to wear suitable footwear for the event you are training for. For instance, spikes will be required for many track and field disciplines. For advice on suitable footwear please speak to the relevant coach.
- It is important that you remain hydrated during training so please bring along a water bottle for use during training sessions.
The following bulleted list gives you some basic advice and guidance to help make your competitions both enjoyable and successful.
- Preparation – Make sure you have all of the information you need for the competition well before the competition day.
- Competition date and start time
- Competition venue (address and postcode)
- Timetable with times for your events
- Transport to the venue
- Clothing and Footwear
- Dress for the weather conditions. You will not perform at your best if you are cold and wet!
- Running Vest (different competitions require different vests)
- Safety Pins (for your race number)
- Spikes (Spike key and spare spikes)
- Equipment – This will depend upon what event(s) you will be taking part in. Some typical examples could be
- Starting Blocks
- Javelin/Discus/Shot (these are provided but you may have your own)
- Drink(s) and Food
You may find it helpful to create a checklist of all the items that you need for a competition. This can be improved over time as you gain more experience. A checklist is a good way to make sure you have everything you need on the competition day and helps with your preparation.